I want to start off by saying how appreciative I am of your support in 2016—Partners for a Hunger-Free Oregon’s 10th Anniversary!
Together, we accomplished so much:
- We distributed $55k in Summer Meal Support Fund grants, assisting 109 unique summer meal sites across the state. That’s 4,847 kids eating lunch every day!
- We supported 99 schools in our November School Breakfast Challenge, who served more that 250,000 breakfasts in one month and made this important meal more accessible for 48,335 kids.
- We helped raise the wage for Oregon’s workers and families.
- We helped prevent 27,500 people in Multnomah and Washington Counties from losing food assistance due to punitive SNAP time-limit policies.
- We launched the Hunger-Free Leadership Institute—12 amazing fellows are learning how to organize their communities to help end hunger.
- We helped lead and win a campaign to become the first state in the U.S. to boost the Earned Income Tax Credit for 58,000 families with kids under age three.
- Our outreach connected more than 75,000 Oregonians with information about SNAP state-wide. We trained volunteers to provide personal SNAP application assistance for seniors and those with disabilities, helping them access the food assistance they need.
We loved connecting with supporters this year. It was great to share a meal with many of you at our first Oregon’s Community Table dinner, we produced a video about our vision for a “hunger-free Oregon," released an equity statement, gained new supporters through the Give!Guide and published a report about food insecurity after talking with nearly 90 people using SNAP.
It’s in this context that I remind myself and our community of one of our core values: Commitment. “We commit to this work for the long-run, knowing that undoing the root causes of hunger requires persistence and boldness.” Last year when I started as the Executive Director, I stated a “big, hairy, audacious” goal: we want Oregon to be the first state to end hunger. Today, I’d like to renew that vision. Together—if we truly commit—we can end hunger in Oregon.
Our strength is in our supporters and partners. In 2017, we'll need to call on you more to help us resist cuts and protect people at risk of hunger.
Now more than ever, we invite you to make a donation and make your voice heard to help end hunger!